bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] My tests: reaching for smooth playback of full-sbs HD vi

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] My tests: reaching for smooth playback of full-sbs HD video w/ subtitles
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 23:56:00 +0200

Hi Pedro!

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 13:05:58 +0100, Pedro Silva Pinto wrote:
> I'm using Gnome which uses gnome-screensaver. Take a look here:
> http://people.gnome.org/~mccann/gnome-screensaver/docs/gnome-screensaver.html

I think I fixed this problem now. Future versions of Bino should again
inhibit the screensaver without problems.

> As for the subtitles, I get these messages; could any of this be
> responsible for the performance hit:
> bino: [wrn] LibASS: Neither PlayResX nor PlayResY defined. Assuming
> 384x288 bino: [wrn] LibASS: fontconfig: Selected font is not the
> requested one: 'Liberation Sans Bold' != 'Arial'

As far as I know, these warnings can be ignored. I still did not get
around to fix the performance problem, but I have a few ideas that I
will try soon.

> I would like to mention another thing: the subtitles are rendered
> casting a fake shadow; this looks good if you're playing a regular 2d
> video, but not so good if the underlying video is stereoscopic,
> because the depth of the objects behind the subtitles (where the
> shadow should be cast upon) varies.

I added an option to force subtitle shadows on or off.

Martin