bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Bino on the Big Screen

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Bino on the Big Screen
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 19:47:19 +0200

Hi Wolfgang!

Thank you for your feedback, this really helps a lot.

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:20:45 +0200, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
> The PAL dims > HD upscaling -- I'll assume this is OpenGL scaling? --
> looks nice enough.

Yes, it is bilinear OpenGL scaling (in a linear color space).

> We missed a setting along the lines of "Do not start playback when
> to frame 0 which allowed us to unpause playback from black fullscreen
> whenever we needed to. But really, imho, you never want automatic
> playback start unless you're alone in front of the screen.

Could you add an entry to the bugtracker at
https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bino/ ?
Such an option would be easy to add once someone finds a little free
time to do it. With a bug tracker entry, this idea will not be lost.

For presentations, you can also use the scripting mode
https://www.bino3d.org/doc/bino.html#Scripting
e.g. to show intro and outro "slides" or to automatically switch
content.

> By the way, seeks, at least in this scenario with separate streams,
> don't always end up at the same left/right frame. Random backs and
> forths always fixed that. But the core reason remained unknown to us.

Yes, in theory if both streams contains key frames at the same
positions then seeking should behave identical, but sometimes
FFmpeg ends up at different frames. I'm not sure why, either. The only
safe way around this is to encode both views into a single stream, e.g.
in top/bottom or left/right form.

> We dearly missed a setting like "Do not leave fullscreen at the end
> of the clip". The last thing you want in cinema presentation is a
> monoscopic windows desktop torn to bits through a stereo projector
> preset and a Z screen. Worked around that with a physical shutter
> which would swing in.

Again, if you add an entry for this in the bug tracker, I'm sure it
will be implemented once somebody finds the time.

Best regards,
Martin