bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Troubles using Bino with x11 devices (Input/output error

From: Bastien Tran
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Troubles using Bino with x11 devices (Input/output error)
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 15:35:53 +0200

Hello Martin,

Wow, thanks for your superfast reply! I barely had the time to take a break after posting!

Removing the "localhost" part from the x11 devices description worked like a charm, now I do grab! Now Bino defaulty outputs to Red/Cyan (Dubois) and often crashes when I try to switch to alternate output but I assume this could be solved by directly issuing the proper command line (and maybe using proper hardware!).

If you don't mind it raises one more question about the "localhost" part (see below).

I also added the information I have on my libraries, I hope that this will help. Don't bother too much about this one unless it may help someone else. Hopefully I will be able to solve this when I am more comfortable with Linux. You have already been very helpful.

Hello Bastien!

On Tue, 20 May 2014 13:57:39 +0200, Bastien Tran wrote:
> I intend to use Bino in order to output *stereo* (on my institution's
> CAVE) or *alternating *(on my workstation for prior testing) from two
> x11 inputs. The idea is to display 3d plots from R using active
> stereoscopy.

Nice application!

> So far I haven't been able to grab any x11 device with Bino. When
> setting one x11 device Bino returns an error (same error with two
> devices):
>
> "localhost:0.0+100,100 : Input/output error"

For some unknown reason, the "localhost" part does not seem to
work anymore. When I just use ":0.0+100,100", it works fine.
Perhaps you have the same problem?

Is it still possible to define a different host though? I assume having 2 computers plotting and a third one grabbing the displays from the former two would give nice results.

> *I have built *FFmpeg* from source to make sure *libx11* and
> *libdc1394*supports (I assume the former only is necessary in my case)
> were enabled.

libdc1394 is only necessary for Firewire cameras.

> *Also I am not familiar with *FFmpeg* (yet) but I have managed to
> grab my desktop without any trouble so I don't think there is
> anything wrong with my x11 devices descriptions in Bino.

That's strange. Maybe Bino does not link to your self-built FFmpeg
libraries
, but to some system libraries? Can you check with
"ldd ./bino"? You can force linking to your FFmpeg version with
./configure PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/path/to/your/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig ...

I am not sure I forced the linking properly. I used the instructions from this tutorial and when I issue the "FFmpeg" command it does link to my self-built FFmpeg.

When I type "ldd /usr/bin/bino" in my terminal as you suggest, I get something like this (sample):

    libXt.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXt.so.6 (0x00007f91bcfd5000)
    libpcre.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 (0x00007f91bcd97000)
    libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 (0x00007f91bcb8f000)

where all paths are either: "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/" or "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/" while my self-built FFmpeg is in /home/bastien/bin. I hope this makes sense.

Best regards,
Martin

Thank you again for your help as well as for providing this great player!

Best regards,
Bastien