bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] bino recognising bt601 vs sRGB & bt709 movies?

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] bino recognising bt601 vs sRGB & bt709 movies?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 06:28:29 +0100

Hi Ben!

I cannot help with FFmpeg details; to make sure you have the codec
details you want, you can perhaps check with ffprobe, which might be
more informative than Bino in this regard.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 17:39:04 +1100, Ben Simons wrote:
> I'd still be interested in any details about sRGB playback (as the
> comments in the code suggest there's an issue there, which would be
> interesting to hear about).

In general, sRGB is no problem. All 8-bit input video frames are
converted to sRGB (if they are not already in that format) for display
with OpenGL. Frames with higher bit depths will be stored in 16 bit
linear RGB.

The potential problem with 8 bit sRGB is that some old and/or broken
graphics cards / drivers from the pre-OpenGL-2.1 era do not support this
texture format properly. That should not be a problem with your setup :)

Regards,
Martin