bna-farsilinux

Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions

From: Arash Zeini
Subject: Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:11:37 +0430

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 11:25, Matthias Laabs wrote:

> > - Libranet is quite interesting and a good ditro to go with. But
> > uncertain licensing, no sources and hence no advantage compared with
> > Debian.
>
> I only installed Libranet so here is what i think:
>
> installation went without problems, hardware detections works.
> but my touchpad wasn't recognized (probably would be when no mouse
> is present) and dri module was missing in XF86 config - so openGL turns
> out as slideshow. After restart screen resolution was wrong.
> Installs lots of packages that i deselected (probably because of
> dependencies) default window manager is icewm...
> no choice which desktop manager is used (comes with gdm -> bad can't
> even restart xserver).
> the only thing libranet contributes is the installer and a menu that can
> start some config programs and some install scripts.
> I don't think the price is reasonable. Knoppix or Morphix is also debian
> based, has good hw detection and it is FREE like in "free beer".

My initial comment was misunderstood by Aryan and ab, maybe. I am not
saying Libranet was not good, but the one very important point for us is
the installer and if that is not customizable for our purposes, then I
don't see the advantage of Libranet for us at this point of time.

With regard to the installation itself I agree with matt as I had issues
too and I ended up with having two installations on top og each other (one
unfinished), which I discovered after I had turned off the graphical login
manager...

> For now I would recommand to translate the knoppix hd installation: it
> works with gtk2 right now so we "just" need translation and put qtparted
> into it instead of cfdisk. qtparted looks really promising - i will try
> to test it with various filesystems soon. As it is qt based it should be
> translatable... I didn't take a look at Morphix yet...

I agree.

> For the long run I do not think that libranet offers more than debian
> itself. The new installer will be (hopefully at some time) graphical -
> comes with a powerful hw-detection and the libranet admin menu is just a
> couple of buttons starting scripts or programs like aptitude...
>

> tell me what you think!

I agree.

We have to diff. between now and long term strategy :) For now it seems
that Shabdix on KNOPPIX is the way to go, to get to the market fast. In
long term we can change as the necessary infrastructure becomes available
with other distros.

Debian <-> Libranet: If the graphical installer comes into Debian I would
prefer to go with Debian rather than any other Debian based distro. But I
think we can postpone this question for now.

I would also like to take a look at Morphix as Aryan recommends. We will
have a look at it.

Greetings,
Arash