bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: jabber.el and bongo

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: jabber.el and bongo
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:14:06 +0100

Hi Rodrigo,

> I read on the jabber.el mailing-list that you use bongo-play-file to
> make asynchronous calls... I tried but I can make bongo-play-file to
> actually play something.
>
> Even using lisp:
>
> (bongo-play-file "~/personal/musica/otros/Sleepwalker.mp3")
>
> all I see when I evaluate that is on the minibuffer area is this.

[...]

> Using bongo's interface everything works.
>
> Any idea?

This happens because mpg123 does not understand shell meta
characters in file names, and Bongo does not expand them
before it passes the file name to mpg123.

(Categorically expanding file names would not really be a
clean solution, because there's nothing preventing file
names from actually containing shell syntax --- besides,
some file names are actually URIs.)

I was not aware of this problem, and something should be
done about it, but in the meantime, you may simply expand
your file names before passing them to `bongo-play-file'.

   (defun rodrigo-bongo-play-file (file-name)
     (bongo-play-file (expand-file-name file-name)))

I'm adding the Bongo mailing list to CC --- hope you
don't mind.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>