cashew-s

[CASHeW-s] Re: References added....not posted on CVS...

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: [CASHeW-s] Re: References added....not posted on CVS...
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:58:28 +0000

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 09:47, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 05:21, Ravish Bhagdev wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have added references to the proposal as decided.  Please check.
> > Its appearing as [3a], [4b] etc.  Is this the way misc references are
> > added by default?
>
> No.  You're not giving BibTeX/LaTeX enough information to create the
> references differently.
>
> >  I have been trying to make these work whole night.  I dont know why
> > when I add all the references together in the .bib file, I keep
> > getting error, undefined reference.  I give up...I have not posted it
> > on CVS, please check if I am using some wrong syntax.  I am using
> > CygWin for this.  I have attached my .tex and .bib files.
> >

> Couple of problems.  Firstly, dropping them in locally gave some compile
> errors on the BibTeX file (you should be runnning 'make' to create the
> DVI file).  Removing the braces ({ and }) placed around your authors
> solves this.
>
> Once this is compiled, you are then left with some very odd looking
> references.  The references are constructed from the authors' names, as
> I showed you yesterday.  For example, take our group.  The BibTeX author
> key would be:
>
> author = {Bhagdev, Ravish and Sanka, Atheesh and Liu, Xian and Hughes,
> Andrew and Foster, Simon}
>
> with a year key:
>
> year = {2004}
>
> Using the alphabetic style we use, this becomes [BSL+04].  The problem
> with your references is that most of them don't have sufficient author
> information to construct this.  The solution is basically to play with
> them, until you get the best looking result.
>
> Dropping 'et al' from them makes most of them usable.  Abbreviating
> Object Management Group to OMG helps too, as otherwise it thinks we're
> talking about someone called Mr. Object Management Group (or Mrs. or
> Miss. or Ms., shouldn't be sexist here.  Or Dr. even).  So, it then
> works with it as Gro, thinking Group is the surname.  If you use OMG,
> you end up with a reference [OMG03], which is clearer.
>
> Please try and add years to them all, even if you have to resort to
> using the copyright notice at the bottom of the page (2004 for the
> Microsoft one).  This keeps all the references looking similar.
>
> With COM, CORBA, and BPEL (and perhaps others), you should really be
> using the standard, if available, which will have explicit authors
> listed, as with OWL-S, WSMO, etc.  However, the first two are pretty
> old, so you may not be able to find them on-line.
>
> > Can anyone who is able to make it work post it on CVS?
> >

> I'd rather you made the changes and submitted yourself.  Not only will
> this give you practise with CVS, but CVS records your user ID when you
> submit, and although I can put a comment to the effect that this is your
> work, this is clearer and is probably what Neil & co. will be looking
> at.
>
> > - Ravish.

As a postscript to that (and what I meant to say earlier), thank you for
doing this.  The work is fine, it's just a case of getting used to using
BibTeX correctly.
--
Andrew :-)

Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, PowerPoint) attachments.

No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com

"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn."
-- Richard Stallman

"We've all been part of the biggest beta test the world has ever known --
Windows"
-- Victor Wheatman, Gartner