certi-devel

[certi-dev] RTIA Message rework

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: [certi-dev] RTIA Message rework
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:41:53 +0100

Hi everybody,

I'm about to commit a big change to CVS HEAD.
I did rework the "Message" hierarchy class from the ground-up in the same way
I did it for NetworkMessage some times ago.

The benefits are the following:

1) We now have an hopefully complete CERTI internal messages specification
    CERTI/scripts/CERTI_Message.msg   for RTIA<-->Federate messages
    CERTI/scripts/CERTI_NetworkMessage.msg for RTIA <-->RTIG messages

2) We can **generate**  a lot of boring code from the message spec.
    using the CERTI message generator
    CERTI/scripts/GenerateMessages.py

    You can search the ML for message generator explanation.
    I'll try to issue more "formal" documentation about it too.

3) CERTI language bindings (Java, Python, etc...) can now use this
message specification
    and generator (the backedn language generator needs to be written/updated)
    for building a "native" binding libRTI.

4) It would be muuUUUuuuch easier to add new services to CERTI
    including variation of existing services for the IEEE-1516 / Evolved.

The drawbacks is the next CERTI release (probably 3.4.0) will not be compatible
with previous 3.3.3 release. I.e. you won't be able to mix CERTI 3.3.x
linked federate
with CERTI 3.4.x linked ones. (same for mixing rtia/rtig executable version).

In order to be able to maintain the 3.3.x release serie
I did create a CERTI-3_3-branch CVS branch.
I did put a dev_Before_RTIA_MessageUpdate development tag too.
This last tag correspond to the CERTI version compatible with current
Andrej work on CERTI Java Binding
see:http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/certi-devel/2010-02/msg00001.html.

I will work with Andrej to make his final work compatible with the CVS HEAD
(and thus forthcoming CERTI 3.4.0).

Test are running, be ready for many ... changes in CVS HEAD.
--
Erk
http://www.april.org