cfengine-develop

Re: [Cfengine-develop] Development plan / meeting

From: Andrew Stribblehill
Subject: Re: [Cfengine-develop] Development plan / meeting
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:12:08 +0000

Quoting Hugo Gayosso <address@hidden> (2003-03-02 10:51:20 GMT):
> Mark Burgess <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > A general principle:
> >
> >  Don't give users what they ask for, give them what they need.
> >
> > Many "complaints" are just not thinking straight.
>
> I have seen and experienced myself that sometimes the users ask for
> something "silly" because they don't know the "cfengine way", one way
> to solve this is to have examples available for the users so they can
> see the "cfengine way" of doing things.
>
> I think that was the idea behind the "hint directory", but I think we
> should make it dynamic so more people can contribute to it and make it
> easy to show the "cfengine way" of doing things.
>
> I think we should use a web site using a collaboration software
> (e.g. Wiki, Faq-o-Matic, etc) which accepts input from outsiders that
> way we will not only have the configuration examples, but comments
> about them, and possibly improvements for the example.

Wikis always seem to work to the lowest common denominator, in my
experience. However, having a place where any users can upload their
site configurations and experienced users annotate with supplementary
comments sounds useful.

> Some time in the future this could become a large library that will
> help new users start implementing cfengine successfully because we
> will lower the learning curve.

With Mark's new scoping system, hopefully this will be made much
less brittle.

--
WIGHT PORTLAND PLYMOUTH
SOUTHEAST VEERING SOUTHWEST, 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6. RAIN OR