chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Making chicken-install amenable to automation

From: Alaric Snell-Pym
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Making chicken-install amenable to automation
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:56:46 +0100

On 10 Jun 2009, at 9:40 am, Timothy Beyer wrote:

At Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:53:47 +0200,
Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:

Timothy Beyer wrote:
The non-versioned egg files makes adding chicken packages to
FreeBSD ports a challenge, similar to the situation you describe
on NetBSD.  (there was a special mirror noted somewhere in the
thread "Egg filename versioning" by Leonardo Valeri Manera, but I
don't think anything became of it)  The only real alternative that
I can think of (which would be "versioned") would be subversion
checkouts during the fetch phase, but I seriously doubt that any
of the BSDs or any of the source-based Linux distributions can do
such a task in an elegant or standardized way.

If you have a user-definable fetch function (or abuse another phase
for that
purpose) than you can do svn checkouts in your packages. This is
easy to do and
supported in Gentoo. For example, you can install all of KDE-4 head
from svn via
packages if that's what you want.

Anyway, everything that Alaric explained also holds for Gentoo.

I'll retract that statement, I'm not as familiar with Gentoo as I am
with the BSDs.  Apparently it isn't even true for FreeBSD. (though
it's not really encouraged by the community).

Unless it's a special "developer package called foo-current", I'm
leary of having packages build from svn/cvs/etc...

After all, a package is meant to refer to a specific version of the
software (that can be checksummed!). Yeah, you could check out a
specific revision and then do a file-tree checksum - but it's easier
to just create a tarball somewhere, which can then take advantage of
the ease of HTTP mirroring and caching.

As it stands, henrietta.cgi will, if asked nicely, spit out a single
file representing a whole egg at a given revision. See:

http://chicken.kitten-technologies.co.uk/henrietta.cgi?name=defstruct&version=1.1

I'm not sure offhand if chicken-install will take such a file from the
filesystem and just install it, though! But the feature would be
easily added.

Tim

ABS

--