chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] r7rs-tasks

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] r7rs-tasks
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 23:52:28 +0200

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 11:42:18PM +0200, Felix wrote:
> > I don't understand why things would be complicated with Chicken's default
> > fixnum/flonum support. There is no equal=? in R7RS, and equal? should
> > not be affected.
>
> "numbers" already provides the numerical operations required in R7RS.
> And I would like to avoid having the user do "(import numbers)" for
> "standard" R7RS code. I'm sure sjamaan will insist on full numeric tower
> support by default (heb ik gelijk?)

I'd prefer having it available by default in Chicken for the same reason
you state: "standard" R5RS code also should be able to assume a full
numeric tower.  R7RS code is no different in that respect.

So, initially I thought it's more consistent to have "r7rs" be like the
"scheme" module and not provide a full tower.  Numbers can be an optional
thing on top of that.

OTOH, since everything is a neat module now (instead of the
"everything's there" in R5RS) it may make more sense to include the full
tower because otherwise you really need to change module import
definitions, which is a lot messier than providing a prelude that
loads "numbers".

In other words: I have no clue.

Cheers,
Peter