chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Dropping SunCC and Solaris 9

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Dropping SunCC and Solaris 9
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 20:22:16 +0200

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 02:09:44PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Solaris 9 falls into this category: its last update was eight years ago,
> and in another 18 months it will be EOLed completely.

I somehow assumed this patch was for a recent version of Solaris.
If this version is so old, I think we should reject this patch
altogether: as has been pointed out there are some problems with
it and you can't expect to run modern software on an old version
of an OS.  Same goes for Windows XP, IMHO.

> If we support gcc and clang across platforms, that should suffice.
> (However, we should of course have proper support for MSVC, and the
> fact that we don't is a genuine and serious gap.)

I agree.  However, we still have no-one willing to add/maintain it.

> > PS: Isn't this something libm needs to take care of rather than the
> > C compiler?  If so, gcc or clang builds are broken on Solaris, too,
>
> Almost certainly.

Never mind if it's such an old version.  If it's also broken on a newer
version, then I think it's worth looking at the patch again.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://www.more-magic.net