chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] mmap

From: Andy Bennett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] mmap
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 14:19:46 +0100

Hi,

> Andy, can you elaborate on the blocking scenario you are seeing?

My particular scenario is that I'm using SQLite with a pool of many
database connections and I'm seeing those connections use a lot of
memory that could be shared by using the SQLites mmap functionality
rather than it's traditional read/write model.

In weighing up the pros and cons I realised that these mmap calls would
unpredictably block in the FFI. I then realised that the existing read
calls are probably also blocking in the FFI but haven't had a chance to
profile or measure it yet: It's a bit of a yak shaving exercise given
that my current actual goal is to manage memory usage better. Once I've
done that I'll be more interested in the actual performance issues.

Regards,
@ndy

--
address@hidden