chicken-janitors

Re: [Chicken-janitors] #1107: Compiling with OpenBSD's gcc-4.2.1 produce

From: Chicken Trac
Subject: Re: [Chicken-janitors] #1107: Compiling with OpenBSD's gcc-4.2.1 produces 2 warnings when compiling posixunix.c
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 13:16:12 -0000

#1107: Compiling with OpenBSD's gcc-4.2.1 produces 2 warnings when compiling
posixunix.c
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  ckeen           |       Owner:
      Type:  defect          |      Status:  new
 Component:  core libraries  |     Version:  4.8.x
Resolution:                  |    Keywords:
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Old description:

> The line numers differ from building the latest dev snapshot and master
> but the source code line is the same:
>
> {{{
> posixunix.c:9214: warning: array size (4) smaller than bound length
> (1024)
> }}}
>
> The line in question contains:
>
> {{{
> t3=C_curdir(t2);
> }}}
>
> The second warning is generated for the line:
>
> {{{
>  t2= C_do_readlink(t1,((C_word*)t0)[2]);
> }}}
>
> Compiling with a newer gcc (4.8.2) from ports does not show these, so
> this might be a compiler optimisation bug in gcc or a bogus warning.
>
> Compiling with -O0 still produced the warnings.
>
> This has been observed on a 32-bit i386 Openbsd 5.5-current machine.

New description:

--

Comment(by sjamaan):

 This seems to be due to #778.  For some reason gcc doesn't define the
 standard that's being used (perhaps we should add --std=c99 just in case?
 But then it would break on platforms that have an older gcc)

--
Ticket URL: <http://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1107#comment:1>
CHICKEN Scheme <http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/>