chicken-janitors

Re: [Chicken-janitors] #1359: mbox-string's mbox-file->messages does not

From: Chicken Trac
Subject: Re: [Chicken-janitors] #1359: mbox-string's mbox-file->messages does not obviously match its documentation
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 23:32:08 -0000

#1359: mbox-string's mbox-file->messages does not obviously match its
documentation
--------------------------------+----------------------------
            Reporter:  nxg      |      Owner:  iraikov
                Type:  defect   |     Status:  accepted
           Component:  unknown  |    Version:  4.12.0
          Resolution:           |   Keywords:  mbox typeclass
Estimated difficulty:           |
--------------------------------+----------------------------

Comment (by iraikov):

 As it turned out, the bug was in internet-message, which has a number of
 mutually-recursive parsers that are all defined in a letrec*. In previous
 releases of Chicken, the mutually recursive bindings were being resolved
 properly, but it looks like in the current release some bindings get an
 undefined value. The trunk version of internet-message should not have
 this error, and I will soon make a new release.

 Replying to [comment:2 nxg]:
 > Many thanks, Ivan.
 >
 > I did try using `mbox-file->messages` with a file name, which is the
 last of the failing trials in the transcript.  I also tried arguments like
 `(lambda () "test.mbox")`, since the error message looked a bit like it
 was trying to evaluate a `void` procedure return.  But that was a stab in
 the dark.  It's definitely processing the argument in that case, since it
 produces a file-not-found error if the file doesn't exist.  I did look at
 the `mbox` source, but with me not understanding the other modules, I
 wasn't able to get much from that.

 > Parenthetically: The type-class approach looks very powerful, and I'd
 like to know more about it.  I get the impression it's somewhat similar to
 Racket's redex https://docs.racket-lang.org/redex/ as an approach (which I
 also would like to get the time to know more about) -- would that be
 correct, and if so, I wonder if this would be a possible source of
 documentation pointers for `mbox`?

--
Ticket URL: <https://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1359#comment:3>
CHICKEN Scheme <https://www.call-cc.org/>