[Chicken-users] More on aliasing.

From: tonyg
Subject: [Chicken-users] More on aliasing.
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 15:34:51 +0000 (GMT)

Given the information at

        http://www.nullstone.com/htmls/category/aliastyp.htm

...I think chicken might be in a bit of trouble wrt aliasing, given
the prevalence of casts back and forth between C_word and C_word* etc
etc. I can't be certain, but given what I remember of chicken.h and
generated code, there could well be problems there.

I've been googling around for keywords like "fstrict-aliasing",
"dangerous", "safe", "alias optimization" etc... perhaps chicken needs
to be made alias-safe before strict-aliasing is enabled by default?

I know next to nothing about this. It might be worthwhile finding a
real expert :-(

In the meantime, I think saying "-fno-strict-aliasing" for Sparc
platforms is probably a good idea. Sven (and any other Sparc users) -
have you been having any problems with -fstrict-aliasing enabled? Or
am I just cursed?

Tony
--
"Rather than go see a real small town for free, he had paid money to
see a pretend one, and rather than see it with the naked eye he was