[Chicken-users] hash table question

From: Peter Keller
Subject: [Chicken-users] hash table question
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 20:22:20 -0500

Hello,

I have a question about the hash tables that chicken implements.

Suppose I do this:

>>> Linux black > csi
; This is the CHICKEN interpreter - Version 0, Build 1072 - linux-unix-gnu-x86
; (c)2000-2002 Felix L. Winkelmann
>>> (define foo (make-hash-table))
>>> (hash-table-set! foo "foobar" 0)
>>> (hash-table-ref foo "foobar")
#f

This seems like a natural thing for me to do, but since the hash tables use
eq? to do the compare, it will fail since (eq? "foobar" "foobar") is defined
to fail.

My question is, why is it like this? Is there any way to control the equality
function or the hashing algorithm?

Suppose I want to replace eq? with equal?.

Thanks.

-pete