Re: [Chicken-users] future of chicken?

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] future of chicken?
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:10:22 +0200

> You mean like zlib?

For example.

> >    - Whatever library is out there, really
>
> Do you think this might be hindered by the typedef problem and/or the fact
> you can't (easily) write an ffi to a C function that uses ... ?

I see the problem, but there is no real answer, yet. But I think one
can program around these cases in most cases.

> I looked at zlib, and it basically does the same trick as GNU MP, so it
looks
> like an interface could be written easily to that(which I might do,
actually).

> Also, what do you think about libraries such as libpng and libjpg? These
> are a bit stranger since they often return allocated memory of some
structure
> or another.
>
> ooo!!! A FFI could be made to libbfd and the opcode library. That would go
> well with the nature of chicken.

Sounds all very good. But I recommend not to implement the stuff on too
low a level. It would be nice to have easy-to-use access to these
libraries (perhaps with optional low-level routines for the truly
adventurous)