Re: [Chicken-users] Things I forgot [Was: the future of Chicken]

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Things I forgot [Was: the future of Chicken]
Date: 11 Aug 2002 01:09:31 -0400

Peter Keller <address@hidden> writes:
> > The OpenSSL math library has several nice features to it, especially
> > including the fact that it has almost all the operations commonly used
> > in building cryptographic systems built in as primitives, so yah, it
> > would be neat to have one if only for that reason. :)
>
> It seems kinda wierdly organized and super low level.

It isn't particularly more low level than GMP. Yes, you have to deal
with all sorts of crud, but that's because this is C and not Scheme or
Haskell.

> Do you know how to use this library?

Just read the man pages (for instance, "man BN_add")

> Where do I start looking at it?

The code is in crypto/bn in the openssl distribution. The man pages
are with the rest of the man pages

> Also, what are .pod file?

A weird perl-based documentation wrapper, which gets processed by
pod2man (a perl utility). Don't look at those directly -- look at
the generated man pages when you build the system.

--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden