Re: [Chicken-users] ideas

From: Tony Garnock-Jones
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ideas
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:11:32 +1200

> 4) makeinfo is available in every GNU-like system.  That's not the
> case with the docbook/sgml/xml framework, which I find pretty
> impossible to install correctly on my compiled-from-scratch system.

This is true - the only reason my install works is that redhat went
through the painful part for me in building the rpms.

> For these reasons, I think that rewriting the manual in anything other
> than texinfo is a waste of time.

Having had a think about this, I think I agree. I'd *really* like to use
docbook, but as you say, it's clunky to set up.

LaTeX would be my second choice. I'd say scribe here, since I think the
syntax is cleaner (cf Pete's opinion :-) ) and I like having full scheme
available like DSSSL, but LaTeX doesn't require bigloo, is easy to
install, and lots of people know it.

So, texinfo then?

Tony
--