Re: [Chicken-users] some progress on zlib

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] some progress on zlib
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:17:57 +0200

Peter Keller wrote:
On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 09:04:12AM +0200, Felix wrote:

Hey, that's nice. I did some minor Zlib stuff with
Chicken, but having a port-like interface is even better.
You should try out `make-input-port'/`make-output-port'
(unit `extras', I think)

So, out of curiosity, why is it that I should do this? I don't understand
why ports are still really in use because they don't even provide the basic seeking/read-write semantics of C stdio.

Ports provide a simple interface for *normal*, no-frills
use and integrate well with the rest of Scheme.

I figure in a week or so(or in a single night, depending on time and
motivation), I'll have enough of the API to do very, very basic file i/o
where you can read or write compressed files. When I get to that point,
I'll package it up nice and release it since it can be useful right away
to someone.

Wonderful! How about a proper extensions (i.e. "egg") ?

Do you have a document explaining how to create these eggs? Maybe I'll convert
my gmp FFI to an egg as well.

There is an example in the manual. If you have any further questions,
please ask.