Re: [Chicken-users] Multiple return values

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Multiple return values
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:11:24 +0200

Peter Keller wrote:
On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 09:39:22PM +0200, felix wrote:

You mean for locations? Unfortunately we can not properly
compute the size of a struct. Too many factors come into
play, like struct-alignment, etc. But what we need is some
kind of `sizeof' operator...

I don't understand this paragraph.

Are you talking about C structs, or records as defined by define-record
in chicken? Cause sizeof() works just fine on C structs.

C-structs. Chicken (currently) has to know the size of
objects passed to (or received from) foreign code *AT
COMPILE TIME*. So, we can't use sizeof() here. The storage
for locations currently works also with distinct values
computed at compile-time. But that (and only that) can perhaps
be addressed in the future.