Re: [Chicken-users] system load with chicken

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] system load with chicken
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 21:22:54 +0100

Joerg F. Wittenberger wrote:
Hello all,

I'm just getting to work with chicken, porting quite a lot of code
(Askemos).  Thereby I made a decision, which is probably not
desirable: I used the pregexp package entensively.  As a result, the
parser which uses it is unusable slow.  OK, I'll replace it; *but* how
does it come that the system load is close to zero, when the
parser/pregexp is active?

It looks as if I'm watching an idle system for 12 seconds to parse
1310 bytes.

Anything I could have done wrong?

Geez. Something must be wrong indeed. The pregexp parser is
somewhat slower than the native regex-lib, but not *that* slow.
Can you give some examples/code?