Re: [Chicken-users] compilation question

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] compilation question
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:09:55 +0100

Peter Keller wrote:

This is depressing. It basically means that you can't do separate compilation
when using my test code. Since I want this code highly portable, I can't
make small additions into the chicken libraries.

Basically, people are going to have to do:

file top.scm:
(include "test-infrastructure.scm") ;; 3000 lines of code
(include "test0.scm") ;; 400 lines of code
(include "test1.scm") ;; 900 lines of code
(include "test2.scm") ;; 1400 lines of code
(include "test3.scm") ;; 2800 lines of code
(include "test4.scm") ;; 4000 lines of code
(include "run-tests.scm") ;; 10 lines of code
(run-tests)

And _wait_ while chicken and gcc try to compile a 12,510(before macro
expansion!) line scheme file.  It already takes more than two minutes
to compile my GNU MP interface and that is only 2600 lines of code.

Am I going to have to split the testing infrastructure file into two
files, one pure macros and functions, and the other toplevel defines? You
can include one is all of your test code, but the other one only once?

Hm. Now if I understand you correctly you need unique Id's
accross multiple compilation units, right?
This is a problem that has nothing to do with Chicken per
se - you want to share information across multiple compiles.
You either have to link a common library, or find a different
solution.
You could write the state of the counter into a file.
Or generate more complex IDs by combining (say) a (large) random
number with the name of the test-suite (which could be communicated
via the test-package macro, for example).