Re: [Chicken-users] Solaris 8 tcp.scm matter, and CCAN

From: William Annis
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Solaris 8 tcp.scm matter, and CCAN
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:09:15 -0600 (CST)

 >From: Felix Winkelmann <address@hidden>
 >
 >The `scheduler' unit is new, you should update to the current CVS
 >version (tcp uses the new, improved scheduler that can block on I/O),
 >since 1082 doesn't have this.
 >
 >I will prepare a new release very soon, in case you don't want
 >to mess around with CVS

        I don't really have much time to deal with bleading-edge stuff
these days, as much as I would like to.  I can wait for the new
release.

        I should mention that I've had some problems with solaris-gcc
3.2.1 compiling chicken.  I had to revert to an older gcc to compile.
With 3.2.1, it barfs out here:

/bin/bash ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -DHAVE_ALLOCA_H
-fstrict-aliasing    -o libchicken.la -rpath /u/annis/local/lib
-version-info=0:0:0 -no-undefined runtime.lo library.lo eval.lo syntax-case.lo
modules.lo profiler.lo  -lm -ldl -lm
rm -fr .libs/libchicken.la .libs/libchicken.* .libs/libchicken.*
/usr/ccs/bin/ld -G -z defs -h libchicken.so.0 -o .libs/libchicken.so.0.0.0
runtime.lo library.lo eval.lo syntax-case.lo modules.lo profiler.lo  -lm -ldl
-lm -lc
C_toplevel                          runtime.lo
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
.libs/libchicken.so.0.0.0
make[1]: *** [libchicken.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/u/u01/a/annis/local/src/chicken-0.1082'
make: *** [all] Error 2

When I use gcc2.95.2, everything compiles fine.  I've not yet had any
time to dig into this curiosity.

 >Just entering `csi -setup' will list all installed extensions.

        This -setup stuff is beautiful!

 >It already works (as far as I have tested it). I've just cleaned up
 >the output of the setup-code and I plan to put a little selection of
 >extensions on call/cc.org, Real Soon Now.

        Cooler yet.  I'll be creating some libraries for Unixy sorts
of things as I work with chicken more.  A few network protocol
libraries would be handy, too, such as basic FTP and SMTP tools, since
I regularly write programs that send me email or shuffle files about.

        Although this makes me wonder about how to approach these.
OOP?  Something else?  I detest using OO for the sake of OO, although
that seems to mesh reasonably well with this sort of programming.  At
any rate, a consistent approach seems best.

        So, what to people think?  Network protocols via OOP, or via
functions called on handles?

--
wm