Re: [Chicken-users] Solaris 8 tcp.scm matter, and CCAN

From: William Annis
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Solaris 8 tcp.scm matter, and CCAN
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:45:44 -0600 (CST)

 >From: felix <address@hidden>

 >> When I use gcc2.95.2, everything compiles fine.  I've not yet had any
 >> time to dig into this curiosity.
 >
 >Urgh. Well, the reorganization of the library stuff (which Jonah is
 >currently doing) might definitely help here.
 >
 >Sorry, I haven't got an answer to that, yet.

        Unfortunately, this problem remains in the most recent
release.

 >>         So, what to people think?  Network protocols via OOP, or via
 >> functions called on handles?
 >
 >If you intend to provide a collection of related extensions that might
 >share a common interface, OOP might be a good option. Personally I
 >prefer handler procedures, but mostly out of rather subjective
 >"efficiency" concerns (which not necessarily reflect real
 >performance ;-).

        My big problem with Tiny CLOS for this is that I don't think
the generic function notion maps well to network protocols.  If
nothing else it clutters up your namespace.  (If only scheme had CL
packages!)  I actually liked the old XLISP message passing approach to
OOP.

        Probably I'll use a handler with functions named smtp:open,
smtp:send, etc...

--
wm