Re: [Chicken-users] SRFIs 34, 35 and 36

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] SRFIs 34, 35 and 36
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:40:37 +0100

William Annis wrote:
Now that the SRFI has been accepted, are there plans to switch from
srfi-12 to 34?  I dropped the reference code into csi -hygienic and
all the examples worked, so it shouldn't be too difficult to roll in.

To be frank, I don't particularly like SRFI-34. The semantics of `raise'
are (IMHO) unnecessarily complicated, and
the whole idea of condition-type defining macros a la ML is not my
idea of the "Scheme Way" (of which exist about as many as Scheme
implementors ;-).

SRFI 36, which requires conditions for I/O operations will take more
work, but would be incredibly useful.  I've looked at library.scm and
posix.scm a bit, and some of the conditions would be reasonably
straightforward to add by consulting errno after ##sys#update-errno.
But there may be hidden problems I've not noticed yet.

Yes, most errors triggered by the system have a tag that can be
used to create specific condition objects for specific error situations.

I rather liked SRFI-12. Sniff...