Re: [Chicken-users] OpenGL library

From: John Pallister
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] OpenGL library
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 15:46:06 +1200

Darn, sent this with the wrong email address; let's try again...

Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 11:01:30 +1200
To: Chris Double <address@hidden>
From: John Pallister <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

Hi Chris,

Pardon my ignorance, but when you say "change code in the read-eval-print
loop", what does that mean? I've been trying to understand what you can do
from the REPL, and I'm not sure I've got it...

Basically, csi is "just" an interpreter, right? So you can prototype your
functions from the REPL (executed as interpreted byte-code of some sort?)
and then go away and compile the Scheme & C code and link it into the
application, or load the object code (once) from the REPL using LOAD. But
after that, if you go back to the REPL, you can presumably enter a
redefinition of a  function to produce some new interpreted code, but you
can't, say, repeatedly recompile the Scheme->C->machine code and re-load it
into your REPL-running process.

So, if you want to be developing and running compiled, native code, your
REPL becomes a run-evaluate-print-save-compile-run-load loop, or something.
Which is still fine, I just want to understand what the options are.

If anyone can help me clear up any misconceptions I'm labouring under, that
would be appreciated.

Cheers,

John :^P

--