[Chicken-users] News from the Barnyard

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: [Chicken-users] News from the Barnyard
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:22:51 +0200

Hello, everybody!

There is a (very simple) SMTP library available at
http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/smtp.html

I have FTP and POP3 extensions nearly ready and they
will be available in a few days (hopefully).

I'm currently working on a (simple - hm... I'm using the
word like an apology... ;-) web-server, that uses the
HTTP extension. The performance is so-so, about twice as
fast as the SUnet server (considering raw requests-per-second)
but still no match for the PLT server. Anyway, it works and
is quite easy to use. I have thought about a simple method
of embedding scheme in HTML and now something a la PHP came
out, so you would have, say,

<?scheme
(printf "<h1>This is ~A, on ~A</h1>"
  (http:request-url (spiffy:current-request))
  (get-host-name) )
?>

So everything in "<?scheme ...?>" or "<?...?>" is taken
verbatim and everything else is transformed into
a chunk of code that outputs the raw HTML.
When the page is first loaded (has a ".shp" extension) or
when it changes, a translation is generated and
interpreted via `load' to produce the HTTP response.
Actually one could even compile the page to native code in the
background.

If anybody is interested, I can put it on the web-site.