Re: [Chicken-users] News from the Barnyard

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] News from the Barnyard
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:58:12 +0200

Joerg F. Wittenberger wrote:

Felix, you know (while the others here don't) chicken can do this a
lot more already.

Yes, I apologize. Mostly that server I described is more for my personal
use, and I like simple, easy solutions. Specifically I'm completely
fed up with GUI libraries and using dynamically generated HTML instead
(which, to quote Paul Graham, "is not perfect, but it works")
looks appealing.

Performance: Both the rscheme and the chicken come with some C code
optimizing the serialization of XML.  Both version show no significant
difference to apache for unprocessed objects.  The rscheme version
needs approximately 4 times as long for dynamic results of the same
size generated by two passes of document transformation in XSLT/DSSSL
style.

The chicken version is worse here.  This seems to be a low level issue
of the calling convention.  I'd love to cooperate with Felix and
investigate that.

And I'd love to help, really. Unfortunately I only understand a fraction
of what Askemos is supposed to be. I will get the Askemos tarball and
play around with it, when I find the time.
Anyway, I think it's fascinating. I have to learn more about it...