Re: [Chicken-users] current cvs error?

From: Peter Keller
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] current cvs error?
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:27:33 -0500

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 10:56:16AM +0200, Felix Winkelmann wrote:
> This looks like the bootstrapping got somehow messed up.
> When you unpack 1.10 and build it (from .c sources),
> does ./csi work correctly?
>
> Then try a fresh build from CVS (as Sven suggested), this
> should work fine.

I have a comment about this part of the README.CVS file:

---
6. To generate the .c files needed to build the bootstrapped compiler,
   you must supply the full path to the Chicken compiler you built in
   step 2.

    $ gmake CHICKEN=/home/yourname/chicken-X.YYYY/dist/bin/chicken

This command will cause the entire system to be built using the
compiler you installed from the source snapshot.
Never mind those warnings.
---

It turns out this is not entirely true. You need to actually do this:

$ gmake CHICKEN=/home/yourname/chicken-X.YYYY/dist/bin/chicken \
                CSI=/home/yourname/chicken-X.YYYY/dist/bin/csi

I say this because I had installed the bad bootstrapped version of chicken
into my /usr/local dir, and then when I built a cvs chicken version the
build system used whatever 'csi' it found in my path, not the one from
the bootstrap version of chicken I was relying on. The csi in my path
was bad, thereby preventing the recompilation from succeeding.

So, I propose changing the build slightly to make a BOOTSTRAP_PATH
Makefile variable which defaults to ./, but when you set it on the command
line, you use whatever bootstrapping executables you need(chicken, csi,
etc) as defined from that path.

Then the directions would say this:
$ gmake BOOTSTRAP_PATH=/home/yourname/chicken-X.YYYY/dist/bin

Sound reasonable?

Thank you.

-pete