Re: [Chicken-users] 'Stack overflow' on NetBSD/sparc64

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] 'Stack overflow' on NetBSD/sparc64
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 23:47:30 +0200

Category 5 wrote:
Bruce Hoult <address@hidden> writes:

How much stack are you allowing (probably implicitly)?  Try "ulimit -a"
(sh/ksh/bash) or "limit" (csh/tcsh)

What happens if you enter "ulimit -s unlimited" (bash) or "unlimit"
(tcsh) and then try again?

With no limit changes, the original stacksize was 2MB.  After an
'unlimit' it increased to 8MB.  The chicken and chicken-static binaries
still immediately fail on exec with "stack overflow".

I think this is more a circular structure problem than
a too small stack.
Can you rebuild everything with CFLAGS=-g? (just change the
Makefile) and give me the backtrace from gdb?
(you will have to set a breakpoint in `barf()', like this:
% gdb
(gdb) b main
(gdb) run
(gdb) b barf
(gdb) c
(gdb) bt
)

I guess this is a 64-bit-specific problem, even though 1.14
seems to work fine on Alpha and IA64.