Re: [Chicken-users] No Subject

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] No Subject
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:53:29 +0100

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:03:21 +1300, Chris Double <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:34:17 EST, address@hidden said:
Help (please)! I hope someone can help me. My grandson came home from
school with this question, which he needs the answer for by tomorrow
(Tuesday): Why does a chicken have both dark and white meats?

Short answer is chickens don't fly long distance. As a result the muscles
in the wings are designed for short bursts of activity and don't have as
many of the proteins that facilitate oxygen distribution in those
muscles. These proteins are coloured red and cause the dark colour of the
meat. Ducks fly a lot hand have dark meat in their wings. Chickens do
walk a lot so their leg and thighs are dark meat.

Chris,

Many thanks for making this clear, The FAQ will be appropriately
updated.