Re: [Chicken-users] Re: interpreter/compile mismatch

From: Benedikt Rosenau
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: interpreter/compile mismatch
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:06:14 +0100

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 10:13:23AM +0100, Felix Winkelmann wrote:

> Ok. So what do others think? Should we change csi to _not_ link with
> all the extra stuff? It's definitely possible, and I would be willing
> to fix it. But if that's going to make life harder for others, I would
> like to know about it.

I like the interpreter to provide a scripting and testing environment
beyond the scope of the compiler. It also makes Chicken easier to use
for the beginner.

Including everything into the compiler is a bad idea, as already pointed
out. So, I vote for an option at configuration - something like 'configure
--reduced-csi'. The name is not important. You get the idea.

The only problem I see s that some of your preconfigured scripts might
not run with the reduced interpreter anymore. It should be taken care
of in advance (like compiling them in the first place - hint, hint).

Regards,
   Benedikt