[Chicken-users] GUI toolkits

From: felix
Subject: [Chicken-users] GUI toolkits
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 13:01:41 +0100

Hello!

I'm currently looking for a nice GUI toolkit that could be
interfaced to Chicken. I'm playing around for a while with
various libraries but so far haven't found anything that
I'd really like. Perhaps others could suggest something.

What I know so far:

GTK: I don't like it. Big, perhaps a little bit too ambitious and
hard to install (at least the last time I tried). The only interesting
thing is that it's C based.

Qt: very robust, but not free on Windows. I have some experience
with it, since I use it at work.

GLUI: pretty cool (GLUT based), but misses some crucial widgets
(like multiline edit controls)

FLTK: lightweight, but the documentation is patchy/incomplete.
Currently this is my favorite.

JAPI: appears to be slightly buggy (at least the newest JDK gives trouble),
and too well maintained.

Then one could build something on top of GLUT or SDL, but that appears
a little bit too lowlevel.

Tk: now that would be cool, but I haven't found any documentation on
how to use Tk exclusively (without Tcl).

FOX, wxWindows: I don't know much about those. They appear to bre
quite heavyweight.

Suggestions are welcome.