Re: [Chicken-users] Debuggery

From: Peter Keller
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Debuggery
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:32:44 -0600

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:12:52PM +0100, felix wrote:
> Agreed. The problem is that there is often very little information available
> at runtime, partly because I wanted to keep too much overhead out of
> compiled
> code and partly because I simply didn't show much forethought.
> I'm open to suggestions, of course.

I've spoken quite a long time with Felix about fixing Chicken to allow
debugging of the native binaries at runtime by redoing some of the
code translation a little bit to create explicit stack frames that
contain debugging information in them. But I unfortunately don't have
much time to invest in it currently (and for the next several months
at least). If someone would like to help me finish the design for it
so it can be presented to felix for his final judgement on the method,
I would be very appreciative.

I don't have much formally written up, but I can dig up my conversations
with Felix and put something together if someone is seriously willing
to take a look at it.

Thank you.

-pete