Re: [Chicken-users] help please

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] help please
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:21:30 +0200

Linh Dang wrote:
Following advices from felix and Alex, a new version of my script is
attached.

What I found is that

        - regex matching is extremely slow

Compared to Perl, it is.

        - sprintf slow (I replaced it with string-append)
        - sqlite is slow

Yup, no doubt about this. The glue between sqlite for example could be
optimized much more. Keep also in mind that most of the wrapper code for
all this is written in Scheme, not C.

- the new script takes 10 secs to run
- the old script took 6 min to run
- the Perl script took 5-6 secs to run

Hey, 10 secs vs. 5 secs is actually pretty good!

I guess Perl's IO is much more efficient than chicken's IO

Indeed, there are worlds between them. But that is to be expected,
since Perl is an I/O and regexp engine.

Chicken will never be in the same ballpark as Perl for these kind of
things.

But, boy, try to compute the ackermann function in perl! ;-)