Re: [Chicken-users] Library for manipulating srfi-40 streams

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Library for manipulating srfi-40 streams
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:04:17 +0200

Alejandro Forero Cuervo wrote:
Hello.

I'm   working  in   an  egg,   stream-ext,  with   functions  for
manipulating srfi-40 streams.  It is available at:

http://anonymous:@svn.afc.no-ip.info:8000/svn/home/src/chicken-eggs/stream-ext/stream-ext.scm

The documentation is available at:

http://anonymous:@svn.afc.no-ip.info:8000/svn/home/src/chicken-eggs/stream-ext/stream-ext.html

Very nice! I'll be delighted to add it to the egg repository.

This  egg defines  a make-stream  function which,  unfortunately,
clashes with a function in the  srfi-40 egg.  The function in the
srfi-40 egg needs to be exported only because stream-cons depends
on it.  However,  make-stream is not specified in  srfi-40 and it
would  be strange  if any  user code  depends on  it (other  than
for  the  expansion of  the  stream-cons  macro).  The  reference
implementation  for  srfi-40  states: "The  following  names  not
specified in this SRFI are  used in the reference implementation:
and, any, make-stream, ...". For that reason, one must rename the
egg's  function to  some  other  name.  This  allows  the egg  to
provide  a  make-stream  function  with  the  same  semantics  of
make-list (but returning a stream  rather than a list).  For this
reason, I  would kindly  like to  ask Felix  to please  apply the
attached  patch  to the  contents  of  the srfi-40  egg  (created
against the contents of the  currently published egg).  Sorry for
the inconvenience, Felix! :/

No problem. I recommend using some mangled name, like
##srfi-40#make-stream for the internal stuff, this reduces the
chances of unintended conflicts even more.

Thanks!