Re: SOLVED Re: [Chicken-users] building readline extension on OSX probl

From: Ed Watkeys
Subject: Re: SOLVED Re: [Chicken-users] building readline extension on OSX problem:csc include directory (-I switch)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:00:25 -0400 (EDT)

gian paolo ciceri said:

> Oh, yes now it's works. Thank you.
> But the double "-L" meaning could easily drive crazy a newbie like me.

I confronted a similar problem trying to build libxml2 and libxslt
recently. My client wanted them installed in a weird directory, so
libxslt's configure script was having trouble finding libxml's includes
and libraries. The solutions turned out to be specifying a "--with-libxml"
or similar option to the configure script, but along the way, I remembered
the very mundane CFLAGS and LDFLAGS environment variables that the C
compiler and linker look at when doing their thing. I think you could have
done the following:

CFLAGS="-I/sw/include" LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib -lreadline -lncurses" csc -s -O2
-d0 readline.scm

More generally, you could stick this in your .profile or .bashrc:

CFLAGS="-I/sw/include"; export CFLAGS
LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib -lreadline -lncurses"; export LDFLAGS

If you use csh or a variant of csh you'd use the setenv syntax. I'm not
sure of csh supports anything like the Bourne-style of specifying
environment variables before a command.

Regards,
Ed