Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Q: Installing extensions & Source code

From: Ed Watkeys
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Q: Installing extensions & Source code
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:28:06 -0400

On Sep 12, 2004, at 12:00 PM, Johannes Groedem wrote:

By the way, chicken-setup can download eggs for you (as of some recent
version), provided they're available from the Chicken homepage:

 $ chicken-setup loop

 The extension loop does not exists.
 Do you want to download it ? (yes/no) [yes]

I know that, but I'm not sure how I learned it. Does anyone have any interest in checking out the eggs documentation with an eye toward making it more useful to someone who has never used Chicken before?

On a related note, the library documentation should really put a higher value on the contents of an extension than the SRFI it implements. And finding information on text formatting or basic IO is a pain to someone not fully indoctrinated in the Scheme religion because you don't know where to look. Is it a unit? Is it a built-in function? And some stuff doesn't seem to appear in the index, and of course the index is most useful when you know the name of a function that you're looking for.

The Python online library documentation works pretty well in the respect: They have a big, detailed table of contents that lists library names and descriptions of what they are for, allowing me to browse or do a text search on the page. The Python library docs fall down when you want to know the syntax to "print", because it's a keyword, not a function, and you need to look in two or three places to find a satisfactory explanation of how to specify a file object destination.

Any thoughts on how the Chicken documentation should work?

Ed

--
Watkeys Product Design * http://watkeys.com/
address@hidden * +1 215 694 4201