Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Q: Installing extensions & Source code

From: Ed Watkeys
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Q: Installing extensions & Source code
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:25:09 -0400

On Sep 13, 2004, at 4:13 AM, Felix Winkelmann wrote:

Ed Watkeys wrote:
On Sep 12, 2004, at 12:00 PM, Johannes Groedem wrote:

By the way, chicken-setup can download eggs for you (as of some recent
version), provided they're available from the Chicken homepage:

 $ chicken-setup loop

 The extension loop does not exists.
 Do you want to download it ? (yes/no) [yes]
I know that, but I'm not sure how I learned it. Does anyone have any interest in checking out the eggs documentation with an eye toward making it more useful to someone who has never used Chicken before?

From http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/index.html:

Okay, okay: I'm officially a moron. :) This is an area that is a problem because Chicken is actually simpler than Perl or Python. With those two languages, you need to download something manually and un-tgz it. There's almost always an INSTALL file that says, "perl Makefile.pl; make; make install" or whatever. Of course, Perl now has a chicken-setup like utility -- and a CPAN shell to go with it -- but I never use it, because I can't remember how to get to it. Maybe a full-time Perl hacker will remember it, but I live in a world where in the space of a month, I'm writing Perl, Python, Java, PostgreSQL stored procedures, Oracle PL/SQL, and of course Chicken. There's only so much trivia the can fit in my mind at once.

(But I agree that this should perhaps be linked more "visible" from the main page)

What if each egg had a boilerplate INSTALL file that said everything that the top of the eggs page does?

Yes, that's right. It's kind of a goose hunt finding where exactly a particular
definition is hidden.
If there's anything missing in the index, please tell me, and I will try
to fix this (as far as me texinfo skills allow).

You mean some kind of general cross-reference? Good idea.

That's not what I meant, but that would indeed be a good idea. Perhaps a sort of glossary/index/xref all in one?:

Core input/output
        display, read, write.

        See also input/output.

Input/output
        core input/output, readline, sfio, srfi-38.

        See also networking.

I/O
        See input/output.

E-mail
        See mail.

ftp -- Basic FTP client.
        ftp:connect, ftp:disconnect, ftp:ftp?, ftp:set-type!,
        ftp:set-mode!, ftp:change-directory, ftp:open-list,
        ftp:open-input-file, ftp:open-output-file, ftp:abort,
        ftp:delete-file, ftp:rename-file, ftp:delete-directory,
        ftp:create-directory

        See also networking.

Mail
        pop3, smtp.

        See also networking.

Networking
        ftp, http, pcap, pop3, smtp, spread,
        tcp-server, udp.

pop3 -- Mail retrieval via the POP3 protocol.
        See also mail.

sfio -- AT&T safe and fast input/output interface.

srfi-38 -- Large object input/output [public domain]
        See also input/output.

. . .

Now how would we automagically build such a thing?

Regards,
Ed

--
Watkeys Product Design * http://watkeys.com/