Re: [Chicken-users] Error 70, what does it mean?

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Error 70, what does it mean?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:41:19 +0200

Michael Erdmann wrote:

`defmacro' is not supported by Chicken, but you can implement it
with

(define-macro (defmacro name llist . body)
  `(define-macro (,name ,@llist) ,@body) )

Thanks :-(. May be i have to read more in detail what is different
or not supported. defmacro is scheme or an extension?

`defmacro' is not Scheme (`define-syntax' is).
It's an extension, but most Schemes actually call it `define-macro'.
(yes, it's a bit confusing)

Are you trying to compile SLIB? I recommend not to use the infrastructure
and just grab those files you are interested in and massage them into
a form that can be used with Chicken. SLIB has several nasty suprises
for Scheme implementations that use separate compilation. If you need
specific packages of SLIB, just tell me and I will try to port them
to Chicken, if possible.

Thanls, not in the moment, but it seems slib seems to be used
quite regulary. I have stoped by attemps to recompile schmooz and
soft_scm for a moment since the effort seems the be considereable.

You can also take a look at mole:

http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/mole.html

As for softscheme: I have a version somewhere that used to
work. I can try to get it into shape for you. For basic, portable
Scheme code it should be usable.

I am quite firstrate regarding the reuse of code, but proably
i need to gain some additional experience in it.

Do you mean reuse of portable Scheme code? Yes, that is a problem.
R5RS is too minimal for many uses, and so every Scheme implementation
has come up with something incompatible.
Large-scale Scheme development (if such a thing exists at all) is
generally done for a single implementation only.