[Chicken-users] cvs update and egg stuff

From: felix
Subject: [Chicken-users] cvs update and egg stuff
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:23:39 +0200

in CVS:

- tinyclos: there was no default initialize method for subclasses of <primitive> [Thanks to Johannes Groedem] - csc: ".h" and ".hpp" files are processed as Scheme compiled with -ffi; Lars Nilsson pointed out a bug in the
  handling of "-l..." on Windows
- easyffi: ___in/___out/___inout qualifiers
- library: `#\xXX' and `#\uXXXX' syntax for characters
- Makefile.am: README.CVS and chicken.pdf are not installed

I've also fixed the complex egg and added a text-editor widget
to bb (still somewhat raw, but should basically work).

Some things I'm pondering:

- csc is also the name used by the C# compiler of a well known Seattle-based
  Software company. To avoid naming collisions (especially since UNIX
  systems with Mono have a csc in their path as well [fools!]) it
  _might_ be advisable to rename csc (and in the process perhaps csi
  as well). Any ideas? Should we sue?
- Is somebody interested in porting Ltk (the Tcl/Tk interface for Common
  LISP) to chicken? Or would it make sense at all to start working on
  a tcl/Tk interface?
- On a regular basis I get the urge to be minimalist. I see all the stuff
  that's slowly adding up to the base system and wonder how everything
  could made simpler, smaller and more lightweight. Then I start going
  through the sources to find things that might be candidates to be
  thrown out, only to get finally bogged down in details, realizing that it
  would probably make more sense to start from scratch (or nearly from
  scratch) than to break backward compatibility.

  To get to the point: is there stuff that could seriously be considered
  "cruft"? Should we start deprecating certain things? Is there anything
  that you find completely useless? Any suggestions are welcome.
- Someone generously allowed me to run Spiffy (the Chicken web-server) on
  a spare machine (currently there is only a minimalistic and barely usable
  wiki - see http://chicken.humankraft.com/wiki.ssp). Instead of writing yet
  another wiki-clone, I am looking for something interesting to be hosted
  there, some kind of chicken-related web-service, documentation project,
  or whatever. Perhaps someone has an idea?