Re: [Chicken-users] Debugging extension, how does it work

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Debugging extension, how does it work
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:31:47 +0200

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:26:33 +0200, Michael Erdmann
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hallo *,
>
> i have a problem that some where in my code there is an exception
> thrown. After i have included the following statements in the
> code of the main driver
>
> (require-extension debug)
>
> (debug (util::option?  "--debug"))
>
> where option? returns #t if the option is set i get the dialog
> as shown below. When i am setting a break point after been
> prompted and restarting, the breakpoint is not matched,

> address@hidden:.../src> slint --debug --trace=10 test
>
> Scheme Lexcical Interpreter (SLINT) Version 0.1.0
> Copyright (C) 2004 Michael Erdmann
>
> [debug] Runtime error_________________________________
>
> (exn arity)
>
> Error: bad argument count - received 1 but expected 0
>
> (call stack empty)
> #;debug> ,break tables::get
> 0: tables::get
> #;debug> ,restart
> (exn arity)
>
> Error: too few arguments - received 0 but expected 1
> #;debug>
> -------------------------------------
>
> But i am sure that the top level function tables::get is
> called! I am realy wondering how i can use the debugger
> to catch such problems!

The ,restart command needs at least one argument, so I
assume the error is actually in the invocation of ,restart, not
in the one of foo (Sorry, that error message isn't very helpful).
Is it possible to set the breakpoint before the first call
to tables::get? Or to abort to toplevel (if slint has such a thing)
and start again, this time with the breakpoint?

I have some other problems here with ,restart which I have
to check out some more. The debugger's more esoteric
features haven't been tested as much as they should.
I'll keep you posted.