Re: [Chicken-users] The Test Infrastructure

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] The Test Infrastructure
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:20:10 +0100

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:26:35 -0500, Peter Keller <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm the author of the testing infrastructure, and now that it has been
> a while, how do people feel about the test infrastructure as a whole?
>
> Should it have been done differently? Has it stood the test of time? Is
> it annoying/wonderful/tolerable to use?
>
> After I had written it, I realized that I actually needed to write almost
> a complete scheme implementation (including (test-let ...), etc) which tracked
> what was being evaluated and where and would keep track of everything
> for you so you could see exactly what happened in the output.
>
> If more work were to happen on the testing infrastructure, should it continue
> along the paths already laid down?

I like it, even though I use it less often that I should. It's somewhat heavy-
weight when compiled, since a large test-suite has to be compiled
fully before even the first test is run. The best way is to use it in the
interpreter.

I think it is crucial that define-macro versions of the testing
framework can be made available.