Re: [Chicken-users] Imaginary numbers?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Imaginary numbers?
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 19:43:17 +0100

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:21:35 -0800, Greg Buchholz
<address@hidden> wrote:

>     I probably missed it while skimming the documentation, but if my
> program dies with "Error: unbound variable: make-rectangular" it
> probably means that Chicken doesn't support imaginary numbers.  Correct?

Yes, that's correct. Chicken only supports "fixnums" (exact integers with 31 bit
range on 32-bit systems, or 63 bit on 64 bit systems), and "flonums", which are
IEEE doubles. Overflow is handled automatically, though.
There is an extension for complex numbers available here:

http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/eggs/complex.html

but note, that it's written in a mostly portable manner and thus isn't
particularly efficient.

> I also noticed that trying to download version 1.66 from
> http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/ (labeled the latest
> release) results in a 404 Not Found.  But downloading 1.88 worked just
> fine.

Oh, I must have deleted it on my recent cleanup spree. But there will be
a new official revision soon, anyway.

thanks for trying out Chicken!