Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-static is not really static

From: Peter Keller
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-static is not really static
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:03:10 -0600

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 05:09:01PM +0300, Andrey Fomichev wrote:
> Thank you for the detailed explanation, Peter.
> It seems that chicken-static works fine on another Linux
> machine after I link it following Felix's advice. But I have
> my own program that I want to be "not a dynamic executable"
> and it just uses gethostbyname() function. I already got the
> warning from the linker about gethostbyname(). So, your
> explanation is very helpful for me.

In addition to the static linking of the nss libraries into the
executable, you'll also link the /someplace/other/than/default/lib/libc.a
into the executable. Since there are some instances in header file
compatibility between the system kernel headers and the glibc headers
(for example certain system call numbers and signal numbers), I definitely
reiterate my recommendation of using the same version of glibc as you
have on the compilation machine.

Glad I could help.

-pete