Re: [Chicken-users] foreign-lambda*

From: Nicolas Pelletier
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] foreign-lambda*
Date: 02 Feb 2005 17:26:49 +0100

felix winkelmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh, just in case: if the computed string can be created at compile-time,
> you can of course use a macro that subsequently expands into
> a foreign-lambda*. But if you create the code at run-time, then of course
> an embedded C-compiler is needed.

Yes, and I  tried to remain on the compile-time side  of things. But I
would  then have some  foreign-lambda* procedures  with more  than 126
parameters, breaking the  limit. So I end up  hardcoding values inside
the C body of the foreign-lambda*, and these values come from run-time
parameters to my Scheme code...

The  reason  I can  break  the  126 parameters  limit  is  I am  using
foreign-lambda* to fill  in huge C structures, some  of them including
big tables of other structures...  and every field therein must get an
init value.

And this  stacking of structures  of structures of tables  of whatever
makes foreign-parse choke (It needs more C preprocessing than what the
easy FFI currently provides).

The above  may sound  a bit sad,  but the  truth is chicken  is really
helping me.

--
Nicolas