Re: [Chicken-users] A project: mod_seas

From: Ed Watkeys
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] A project: mod_seas
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:12:40 -0500

On Feb 28, 2005, at 2:38 AM, Julian Morrison wrote:

You'd be better writing a parser and applet wrapper for either Apache java Protocol (http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/connectors.html#jk) or Fast CGI (http://www.fastcgi.com/). Preferably FCGI, since that's specifically designed to be implementation-independent.

I wanted to put all of the hard stuff on the Apache side, in C, so there'd be no need for complex request-handling code on the Scheme side. FastCGI is uses a packet-based protocol that's non-trivial to implement. A design goal is to enable people who want to write a Scheme-based web application to download the module, read the sample code, and get their program responding to requests within an hour.

Notwithstanding my objections to FastCGI, I'm in favor of a Scheme implementation of the app server side of AJP/JK. As the page at the URL describes, it's simply a wire optimized HTTP. But getting such an implementation to work on a random Scheme would be a hassle for users, so it doesn't satisfy my up-and-running-in-an-hour goal.

Ed