Re: [Chicken-users] Non-cons data structures

From: Julian Morrison
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Non-cons data structures
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:35:09 +0000

Sunnan wrote:

> * Using an object system (overkill; but could be useful if I want to
> inherit from my structure (which I probably don't.))

Vectors allow manual inheritance (more or less the way a compiling
object system does it): if a superclass defines an N-slot vector,
subclass slots start at N+1. A cast to super just changes the first slot
(type identifier) - superclass methods already ignore all slots beyond N.

> Between vectors and records, which will have the least performance
> penalty?

Guessing: they compile to identical operations - block-set! etc in lolevel.